Your Health Is Golden
Since 2012, the Asian Health Coalition implemented Your Health is Golden, an evidence-based cardiovascular health self-management curriculum adapted from the National Institutes of Health’s National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. This six-week curriculum targeted medically underserved and at-risk Asian communities, and aimed to inform program participants regarding physical activity, nutrition, smoking, and substance abuse. It also focused on increasing understanding about cardiovascular disease and diabetes so that program participants were better able to discuss health issues with their physicians.
Asian American immigrant and refugees communities in metropolitan Chicago
• Chinese Mutual Aid Association
• Vietnamese Association of Illinois
• Increase awareness and knowledge of heart disease/diabetes co-morbidity among the target communities through the development of a complementary culturally and linguistically appropriate heart health education curriculum;
• Improve self-management practices and self-efficacy among target community members attending heart health sessions; and
• Document lessons learned for potential dissemination and replication of the heart health model for culturally and linguistically competent health education targeting diabetes and heart disease co-morbidity.